The origin of Camjac, as for many places of settlement in "ac" is to be found in Gallo-Roman times when large areas were established on both sides of the Lyon-Toulouse route.
The agricultural economy continues to dominate the life of the Commune. First located in valley bottoms (The Navech: hemp), human activity on the plates moved from the late 19th century.The village itself Camjac includes only a few houses because the activity of the common focus to 1 km away at a place called The Red Cross around the town hall and school. The village church was rebuilt in 1846 contains frescoes neo-Romanesque conducted in 1956-57 by young artists from the School of Fine Arts in Clermont-Ferrand. There are also a number of objects prior to its construction: a bell of 1670, a stone baptismal font of XIV and XV century, a processional cross from 1800, an iron host in 1805, in quest of a flat tin 1646. But the notoriety of the town lies elsewhere. She owes to the presence of Chateau du Bosc , childhood place of the painter Toulouse-Lautrec (1864-1901) who now welcomes visitors eager to learn a little about the painter's life. The castle is open daily throughout the year.
A Camjac the Virgin and the war memorial since become one plate bearing the names of victims of both wars were fixed on the base of the statue.
Daniel CROZES, writer, historian and novelist is probably the most famous inhabitant of the town.